Friday, September 9, 2011

What

http://www.dsp-world.com/2003/directories/directories.html
His success surprised a lot of people because Doc hadno in-deptnh business experience, and he didn’t have the 70 hours-a-week drivd that powers most entrepreneurs. It seemed he’d been in the righf place at the righty time with therighf idea. Unfortunately, all those righta didn’t prevent some big wrongs. Not understandingb business basics, Doc didn’t know how to respond to changes ininformation technology, customer preferencesz and other marketplace variables. His head was full of “wha I’d like to do” instead of “what I have to He sat clueless behind his big desk whiler the companyspiraled downward.
Just beforwe it all came completely Doc’s son Barney gave in to his mother’s pleas, left a corporatr vice presidency and came home to take Good old Barney managed to savethe day. Now 10 yearsd later, Doc was trying to relive his life in businesz as he wished it had been by leaning on Barneg to do things theway he’d alwayx wanted to do them. Barnehy has a pretty level head and thick but sometimes he just needsto “I used to chuckle at stories of parentw trying to live the lives they never had throughj their kids,” Barney said around a mouthful of Tex-Me x High-Yield Nuclear Chili at the Carolinaq Moon Café.
“You know, trying to make a ballerina out of a kid with two left Ithought I’d escaped “Is your dad at it again?” I’d heardc some of Barney’s stories. “Pictur this.” Barney put down his spoon so he couled talk withboth hands. “We’re in the bank president’s office to negotiatde an increase in ourcredit line. We’re financially solid, but credirt isn’t easy for anyone to come by these “Just as I’m finishing my speech abourt using the new money for crucialbusineses growth, Dad pops up with ‘Ofg course, as head of the Barney reserves the right to apply the funds to priority needsz as he and I see them.
That’a what being CEO is all about.’ The bank presiden t had his own idea of what being CEO isall about. We were luck y to get everything signed and get outof “Doc probably shouldn’t be involved in such I said. “He’s my Barney said. “What am I gonna do? I get a call a couplee of weeks ago from a business reporterr down atthe newspaper, and she wantzs to know how we’ree doing on acquiring our biggest I tell her I don’t know what she’zs talking about, and she says, ‘I have a tip from someonre very close to the head of your companh that the financing is almosf locked in.
’ And I say, ‘I’m the head of this and I’m telling you we don’ft have any plans Then the light goes on.” “Your I asked. “Why would he start a rumor like “That’s the question I askedf him about 15second later. ‘Barney,’ he said to me, ‘yo have to keep your name in the headlinew so people willknow you’re alive and Stir the pot, let ‘ekm speculate.’” Barney shook his head. “I hope he hasn’t done any more I said. “Just the reception area, the main conference room and his officeethis time,” Barney said. “Almost $60,000!
But it’ds not only the It’s him making decisions and making a lot of noise about it because hethinks that’se what being a CEO is all about. It was that over-blown CEO nonsensd that almost sank the compang 10years ago.” “I agrese with you that he’s trying to do througuh you what he couldn’t do successfully himself. Doc probably won’tg be satisfied with any place in the companythat isn’t right over your shoulder.” “But he’ a good guy and good father,” Barneg shrugged, “even if he isn’t much of a businessman. And sometimed he comes up with somegood ideas.
I’ll just be careful about how much opportunity he has to makeserious “Good thinking,” I said. “Whol knows, Barney? You might need an understanding son yourselvfsome day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment